Thursday, May 22, 2008

First off, I want to thank Lindsey for taking the initiative to start this awesome blog. I hope that our family and friends will check in on the blog now and again and make comments. I cherish the family and friends that we have even though I don't show it enough! So, THANKS to everyone who has supported our family throughout our lives, but more recently in regards to the first days we found out about our wonderful son Jaxon and his newly diagnosed condition.

It is impossible to explain what it is like to find out your child wasn't the healthy, normal, perfect little child you thought he was at his 2 week check-up. I will never forget a single word the doctor spoke to us that day. I've always been able to think or work my way out of any problem that I was involved in. I still very much have that mentality with Jax. We will work with him and give him everything we can. However, at the end of the day, there is no "cure" for Williams Syndrome. Right now there is a mixed bag of emotions. He is incredibly cute, social and shows good development. For that I am extremely grateful! However, on occasion I am overwhelmed by his future. I worry for his little heart and body and I worry for his mental/developmental progression. Although I do have great concern for Jaxon and his present and future well-being, I am largely positive about not only Jaxon's life, but our family as a whole.

Lindsey and I have overcome much, in fact, there are several of you who still owe me money on betting we wouldn't make it past our first year of marriage (12 year anniversary in July). I feel that Lindsey and I can overcome anything together and I believe some day we will look at our experience with Jaxon and be grateful for the opportunity to raise a child with special needs. I am also confident he has much to give and teach us. He has already taught me many things, with the most important being unconditional love. So far he has been nothing but pure love and satisfaction for me. If I am ever feeling down about his condition or problems he is having I just need to hold and/or visit with him and my mood completely changes. Anyone who has interacted with him knows that he has that impact on people. I have no doubt that his infectious smile and cuteness will overcome anyone that meets him throughout his life.

Well, I have probably bored anyone reading this to death. I am almost done. I just want to let Lindsey and the girls know how much I love them . It can be easy to focus too much on a child with special needs and leave the other children behind. I vow not to do that. They are so incredible and they help around the house and with Jaxon so much. I know that God has blessed my family and I greatly and I could never repay him for what he has done for us. Again, thanks to everyone who has helped our family throughout the years and don't be shy with your comments. We are going to continue to need everyone's support!

No comments: